Saturday, April 13, 2013

Language Tools

As of right now, my level of German proficiency is at an all-time low. I've asked so many people on where should I even begin learning Deutsch (the language of the Germans). I've compiled a list of the following language tools both online and hardcopy books.

  • Rosetta Stone - I've just started using this really, so the verdict is still out on if it lives up to all the hype. So far so good. The lessons are pretty lengthy, but definitely worth it. Once the semester ends and my schedule slacks up a bit, I will be able to dedicate loads more time to using this.
  • Duolingo - Allows you to learn languages completely free, without ads or hidden charges. It's fun, easy, and apparently scientifically proven to work effectively. I read the reviews, talked to experts at the language, even current participants, and they ALL have said the same thing "USE DUOLINGO AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE". I started a few weeks ago and caught on quickly, but I swear if I go more than a day without practicing using this source, my brain goes completely blank lol (especially with grammar).
  • Pimsleur - a method used to learn a language easily, like Rosetta Stone though it's totally not free and with my budget I'm exhausting all free resources.
  • Deutsch Heute - textbook referred to me by one of the other participants in the program who has studied German for a couple of years. I found a digital copy online and printed out the first chapter already. The lessons are pretty easy and it comes with an audio book too so you can practice pronunciation!
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German - I just ordered this from Amazon.com recently (it was only $4!) So i'm excited to see how this will turn out. 
Along with all these resources, I've switched my Facebook & Twitter to Deutsch. Even my iPhone is following suit. 

I have about 108 days until I leave for Germany, that may seem like a lot of time to most, but for me that's not enough!!! Between school, work, packing, workouts, and everything in-between, I've got to find time for as much as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living in Europe can be expensive!