Thursday, April 11, 2013

Countdown to Germany




Well...... it's been a little over a month since I first received that amazing news about my acceptance into the Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals Program. I am BEYOND thrilled for this opportunity! I have about 16 weeks until I leave for Deutschland for a year!. About 3 of which are the last of my current semester at Alabama A&M University in Huntsville, AL. I am currently a Computer Science major in my Junior year of college. I was able to get out of my lease, so I'll be moving from Huntsville back home to Birmingham at the end of May.Starting July 31st I will be spending an entire year in Germany. This year is composed of:
  • 2 months of intense language classes
  • 4 months at a German University
  • 5 months working an Internship phase


This will my very first time leaving the country, not to mention I'll be leaving for an ENTIRE YEAR I have a TON of things to prepare for. I plan to visit some people during the summer, get some last minute traveling done, save an unbelievable amount of money, and try to work on my German language skills (or lack thereof). I just need to make it through this semester without going insane.

The latest struggle was to defer my student loans.  I heard that some of the participants have been struggling with their deferments because this program isn't exactly considered a "study abroad" program. So instead of having our loans put on hold, they can either be deferred due to economic hardship or for an academic reason if the student holds a bachelor degree before the time of the necessary deferment. Or the loan can be put into Forbearance. If forbearance is taken, then I will be responsible for paying interest while the loan is put on hold... while I'm in Germany. :(

At the moment I am freaking out about how can I survive the year WITHOUT A JOB! We were told that we would need a minimum of €3,500 (or to be on the safe side $5,000) that participants should be prepared to spend during the program of their own money. Right now I'm nowhere near that amount, so I've been trying to apply for every scholarship, pinch every penny, and find alternatives to get extra cash. At this point I'm even willing to take donations lol.
    HELP ME SURVIVE IN GERMANY!!!!!



                                                 >>><<< 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Living in Europe can be expensive!