Friday, April 12, 2013

Driving Overseas

This morning I applied for my International Driving Permit. Although the program partially pays for transportation around the city I'm going to be living in, there may be situations where I will need to hop in the car and just drive! I also plan to do a bit of traveling between countries within Europe and who knows when I might need to a vehicle there?

Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages. (Noted from travel.state.gov)

I looked it up on AAA's website and saw that it only cost $15 and is good for an entire year from date of issue. You can stop by your local office to get it done, or you can mail it in. 

All I needed was:
  • current valid Driver's License
  • 2 passport photos (they can take your photos there if need be)
  • and the registration fee of $15

If you are ever planning on doing some extended travel I suggest getting it as it was suggested to me. Although you can't apply for it more than six months from when you are planning to leave the country, so keep that in mind. Since I leave on July 31st, I made sure to have it effective August 1st. 

2 comments:

  1. Man, that blue text on a dark grey background is kind of hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. I've been playing around with the color schemes a bit. I've got it fixed on just a plain white text for now. Should be easier to read now.

    Danke!

    -Kwasi

    ReplyDelete

Living in Europe can be expensive!